Friday, February 3, 2017

A Look at Three of the Beatitudes




In today’s reading here in the Gospel of Matthew we have one of the most well-known passages of Scripture - the Beatitudes, which leads off the next three chapters which contain the Sermon on the Mount.  There are eight “blesseds” contained in this passage.  With space and time constraints I will discuss only three of them.

The first Beatitude I am discussing is the first one, Poor in Spirit, in verse 3.  Being poor in spirit is having an attitude of total humility before the Lord.  For many people this doesn't come easily.  So many today have strong wills and are proud.  Younger generations have been raised in an atmosphere of catering to boosting self-esteem, and being told they are special, no matter what.  Many business climates reward the arrogant and those who show no hesitance to climb on others to get ahead.  This is the opposite of humility and having a servant’s heart and attitude, which those who are filled with the Spirit will display.

When we are poor in spirit we see our need of a Savior.  Pride says that we don’t need any help, we can do everything ourselves, including earning our way into heaven.  The prideful say that all of their works are exceptionally good, so there is no need for Jesus.  Those who are poor in spirit see that without Jesus, they have nothing, and are lost and hopeless, not self-sufficient like the proud.

The second Beatitude I wish to discuss is that of Mercy, the fifth one, in verse 7.  When I was younger, I was more strong in my judgment of others.  That is often a failure of younger people.  As we get older, though, hopefully we start to see how often we need mercy from God.  I have learned that if I want mercy for myself, which I surely do, I must show mercy to others.  When we’re showing the same mercy as God does, we forgive those who have wronged us, whether they deserve it or not, or even ask for it.  How much mercy do I want for myself?  Just a little?  Or do I want abundant mercy?  Since I want the latter, I need to dispense abundant mercy to others.  Not sparingly, but abundantly.

The last Beatitude I will discuss is the sixth one, in verse 8, that of being Pure in Heart.  If we want our hearts to be pure, they need to be kept separate from anything that would taint them.  All it takes is the smallest of particles in food or an ointment to corrupt it, and the same is true in our lives.  To keep our hearts pure we need to keep all stain of sin far away, just like one would keep any contaminants away from food or medication.  This would include what we watch on TV, our entertainment, or what we listen to.  When our hearts are pure, free from any deliberate sin, we will see God and have more of His presence in us, shining forth from us for others to better see Him, too.

If we have asked the Lord Jesus into our heart to make Him our personal Savior, His Holy Spirit lives in our hearts.  If we allow Him to direct our life, then slowly but surely all of the Beatitudes should be showing forth in our lives.  As I read them I look at my own life and take inventory to see where I stand.  How about you?

1 comment: